Saturday, May 28, 2011

Productivity is just not about oneself

Last week, I have been trying to reduce my total # of work-hours to see if my productivity improves. It did, because I knew I had few hours to wrap up my work, so I wouldn't waste my time on long lunch hours discussing about Kanimozhi's arrest or taking multiple tea-breaks to vent my frustration on my boss.

But I am slowly realizing that productivity is just not about oneself. Its about the entire ecosystem. I had to elevate a piece of my code to User Acceptance Testing environment. And this was quite an urgent requirement and so wasn't a planned one. Now, even though I finished testing the code; the code couldn't get moved because of the frustrating bugs in a software development life cycle - "processes". So my productivity was based on the "process" productivity. There is "system" productivity, "team" productivity, "hardware" productivity and "off-shoring" productivity.

If your manager asks you to improve your productivity,ask him to:

1. Bring shortage or scarcity into the team
2. Show proof that its because of one person's productivity, the results are not achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment