Monday, July 25, 2011

Smaller teams vs Larger teams - What should you work in?

I have been always faced with one dilemma throughout my career of 8.5 years. "Working in smaller teams" vs "Working in larger teams".

Ok !! Let me define first...

Smaller teams - not more than 4.
Larger teams - more than 6.

I have experienced both these worlds, but I keep toggling always thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Or probably its paler on the current side...

I would prefer to work for smaller teams because

1. A smaller democratic setup.
2. Easier to steer the ship. Don't have to worry about too many moving parts.
3. Work gets noticed/criticized/rewarded immediately.

I would prefer to work for larger teams because

1. Highly dynamic and challenging environment.
2. Complex human chain.
3. You will learn scalability (I was born in India).
4. Most of the interviewers ask you how big was your team size and not how small was your team size.
5. You will learn to be more realistic.

Hence, at the end of a project, just like TamilNadu politics, I just vote for the other side. I think both the kind of projects are necessary for the evolution of IT services. And if you bias your opinions towards one of them, you will soon be gobbled by the nature of the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment