Friday, July 29, 2011

I made a big mistake. Farewell is as important as Introduction.

I made a big mistake. When I signed off from my previous project, I didn't send a "Farewell email" at the right time. I sent a week later.

I worked out of my client's place. I sent an email to all my colleagues onsite (the term used to refer to client's location in the offshoring business) the day I left from the place. But somehow missed to send to my counterparts at offshore. I just sucked.

I didn't realize till one of my colleagues was surprised that I had left the project and I hadn't even conveyed my move. I felt miserable.

Sending a farewell email at the right time communicates a lot of emotions. It says that you care to communicate your decision and you respect them. It says that you would want to stay in touch and finally it says how much you will miss them when they are not around you.

I realized that farewell emails are equally important as an introduction email and it has to be drafted in a nice manner at the right time and not for the sake of sending one.

No comments:

Post a Comment