Monday, January 18, 2010

Is cribbing good?

"Man, the job sucks!!!"
"My PM is God's revenge on humanity"
"What is the status update?"...2 hours later..."What is the status update?"...
"I slog. WTF, I get just 15% hike and he gets a 15.5% hike"

"Not possible..."..."The problem is..." "The issues are...." "The estimates are screwed up...".... the morning sermon from the majority of the IT population.

Aren't we so used to this cribbing? Aren't we so diligent in taking tea breaks to vent our frustration on the system, people, strategies, processes, etc..? Yes. We are. I do. I do a lot.

But one fine day (today), I realized, that cribbing does help you to squeeze out the stacked up grief from your system. Its a good thing. Do it everyday. Allocate time out for cribbing. Keep squeezing out till it empties out (just like a toothpaste). One day, you will be so bored of cribbing, that the natural tendency is for you to start thinking about solutions. You have to crib. If you don't crib, you wont even know what you are unhappy with.

My suggestion would be for organizations to have scheduled cribbing sessions/meetings. It might work. The reason is because as techies, we hate these meetings so much, that we would start hating these cribbing meetings and soon we might not crib at all or if we are super-cribbers we would start cribbing about the cribbing sessions...Who knows...

I am going to give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. I believe the FT team had these cribbing sessions...by the time it was scheduled for us, more important meetings and other things came up...and these sessions never happened!! :(

    ReplyDelete