Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How EZPass taught me to reason beyond the obvious?

It was a simple lesson learnt. Whenever I cross the tolls in the EZPass lane and happen to see the front-of-me motorists'  EZPass status alerting - "Go, Low Bal(ance)", I always thought that the guy had forgotten to re-fill his EZPass. It is right most of the times, but not all the times. Now the "minority" reason never occurred to me and I always thought that could be the only reason.

A few days back, my EZPass also started showing the same alert whenever I crossed the lane - "Go, Low Bal". Now, I had setup automatic refills and how could that happen. Then I realised that I had replaced my lost credit card a month back and the EZPass had the automatic payment on that lost credit card.

The core reason for my EZPass status alerting was not that I forgot to recharge it, but I expected the recharge to work automatically, but didn't work because of a failed  payment. That could have been the reason for many of the motorists that I see who gets alerted, though not a majority, as you don't expect the credit card payments to fail.

The obvious reason (motorists forgetting to refill) was so obvious that it completely masked me from other potential causes (failed payment gateways) and only experience taught me that there could be multiple reasons for a failure.

So, whenever there is a screaming, obvious reason in front of you for a failure, don't get dissolved in it. There might be also non-obvious reasons for a failure, which you might completely miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment