Monday, August 29, 2011

Filling timesheets

I am sure a lot of us would have had a tryst with the "nonsensical" work of filling up time sheets. This was initially introduced to keep a track of how long does an employee spend his time in a project, so that it could help them for 2 purposes

1. Bill the customer for the exact amount of time the "employee works".
2. Calculate exactly how much time he works so that it will help in future estimation of projects.

But how effective is this process? Measuring productivity has always been a great challenge. Because productivity is not just about time. It is about quality, efficiency, growth, etc.... And what is the solution that we have today? Time-sheets.

Why would I want to enter that I worked only 5 hours? Because I know that if I enter 5 hours I will be questioned, even though I had finished my work. Its like the prisoners dilemma problem in game theory. You don't trust the system, because the system doesn't trust you. And the system also thinks the same way.

Now, what about entering more than 8 hours? That is also a tricky problem, because you will be questioned on your effectiveness to finish the job and on top of this there would be 100s of clauses in the SoW which would detail that you wouldn't bill the customer more than 8 hours a day. So the magical number of 8 hours a day was established and employees just enter that number.

So this madness continues on a week-week basis to enter 8 hours/day. And in this process, we are not solving both the issues mentioned in my first paragraph. We will keep billing the customer 8 hrs/day.

In my opinion, organizations should first open out this channel to accept realistic time lines from the employees and bill that same back to the customer. Yes, it will cut corners, but that's alright in the longer term of things. There will be certain unpredictability, but its alright.

I think CMM guys should make this as a mandate in their evaluations !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment