Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Saravana Bhavan and IT Services

This weekend, I had the chance to grab a morning "tiffen" at Saravana Bhavan (SB), a premier vegetarian restaurant in Chennai. As most South Indians would be knowing, SB charges a premium price for all their products. The reason: Mouth watering quality food. I ate "Aappam". It is customarily served with cocunut milk and it was truly mouth watering. Expectations met and also surpassed. I ordered one more only to realise that the second one was too heavy for my stomach. But I was satisfied.

If I have to draw parallels between SB's services and IT-enabled services, today's customers consuming IT services are starved; starved of quality. When did your customers feel that your quality of work was lip-smacking? Assume that the day he compares your work to a lip smacking delicacy, you have reached the pinnacle of quality service.

Tell me some of your experiences where the customer truly lip smacked.

1 comment:

  1. :-) Hmm, interesting... I think there is the time delay between an IT delivery and the customer actually experiencing the product... which might kind of dampen the "lip-smacking" factor... except ofcourse when you fix faults superfast and get it right first time!

    I remember hearing the lips smack when suggesting a really good idea - not the deliverable, but the solution itself.. I think thats when you get to hear the response immediately. By the time the deliverable comes out, the customer has spoken about it so many times, probably seen models etc and that kind of kills the "wow" factor a bit...

    BTW, SB Aappam - am now inspired enough to go to SB this weekend - Its almost a 2 hour train journey from where I live!! :-)

    ReplyDelete